The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Wellesley Income Fund Date:  3/10/2003  12:17 AM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  35864 of 88495

Jack, in the situation you describe a laddered maturity bond portfolio is one thing you might want to look at. They can be very safe and no fees as in a mutual fund. Fot that you probably would want to use a discount broker.

Fools would usually suggest 5 yrs of expenses in that bond portfolio, but you could go up to 50% of your funds--especially if the interest income covers your living expenses. The rest can be in stocks for inflation protection.

You probably have these funds in a rollover IRA account. If you are over 59-1/2, you will want to set up a distribution plan. If you are under 59-1/2 you may want to set up a 72(t) distribution plan.

Seems like you are on the right track.

Fool on!!
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us