The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/setting-up-my-roth-18778949.aspx

Subject:  Setting Up My Roth Date:  3/21/2003  3:16 PM
Author:  hbombfool Number:  35949 of 76397

I had a meeting today with a financial planner to discuss opening a Roth IRA. The company I happen to work for is (partly) a financial services company so our accounts and any financial advice are free, and I'm starting to take advantage of that.

Currently, I'm deferring 10% of my pay to a 401k offered by the company. There is a company match in place for 4% of my salary, but that will not vest for a while, and I will probably never see it since I think I'll be finding another job at some point...

I have funded a $7500 emergency fund. I have $100 a month going into AIVSX. I want to add a Roth IRA to balance the pre-tax 401k with some after-tax money set aside for retirement. At this point in my life I'm not sure if I'll be in a higher or lower tax bracket at retirement. I'm 27, so I'm still a long way off.

The planner seemed interested in WM Group of Funds - Strategic Growth Portfolio, specifically the B shares (since they do not have an up-front load fee. I'm not sure if I'm convinced.

My gut is telling me I'd be better off with an index fund like VFINX... which has a lower expense and instead of trying to beat the S&P 500, it *is* the S&P 500.

As an employee, I have no account maintenance fees, and there's a good chance that even if I stop working for the company, they *might* not have anything in place to recognize this fact, and so they may not begin charging me the fee (which would be $35 a year for the Roth IRA).

VFINX would not be available through this Roth IRA. Would I have to find a non-proprietary index fund that works like VFINX?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

hbomb
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us