The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Amended return Date:  3/22/2003  8:56 PM
Author:  SirTas Number:  64627 of 127519

Thanks, Phil! The change is that I file jointly with my wife, but I understated her SEP contribution for that year. (I put in too low a number.) So AGI (and lots of other stuff, I suppose) will change.

One odd thing is that DW is self-employed and I fill out a Schedule C for her, but the SEP amount comes off the 1040, and seems to have no impact on Schedule C, and self-employment tax.

An added complication that I didn't mention last time is that the numbers on the original return were changed by the IRS one time. (We got a letter.) So what I think I should do now is use their final numbers wherever they are different from my original numbers.

I don't have the instructions with me right now, but I seem to remember that any form or schedule I send them should have "AMENDED" printed at the top.

But now I wonder whether I really do have to send them amended forms(?)

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us