The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-phil-and-rad-i-will-look-into-the-fees-and-18785515.aspx

Subject:  Re: Coverdell for elementary school Date:  3/23/2003  12:41 PM
Author:  BessVa Number:  64630 of 127840

Thanks Phil and Rad
I will look into the fees, and my daughter's participation, etc. before I set this up.

(Un)fortunately, we live in a "rich" county that has been successfully sued in the past. The special ed program is fairly good (compared to other places in the US), but it's that "appropriate" part that gets us.

In a nutshell, we have to show that the current placement is not working, and that all of the other programs they offer are not appropriate. I, and her previous special ed teacher, believe she'd be eaten alive in some of the programs that have been mentioned.

It's hard for folks to understand that her behavior is directly related to the effectiveness of the meds, anxiety level, and sensory overload. It's brain-damage from being born too young, and genetics (what can I say? she has me and Mr.Bess for parents). While I am uncomfortable in a mall (the artifical space, the lights, movements, noise), she has meltdowns. When the meds work, she's not dangerously hyperactive and impulsive, but they do suppress her personality.

I have been given some names of lawyers who work in educational law, and will start the phone calls.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us