The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotyou-mentioned-florida-suggesting-you-are-19036396.aspx

Subject:  Re: financing Date:  5/12/2003  6:28 PM
Author:  mhtyler Number:  8432 of 19220

"You mentioned Florida suggesting you are moving out of state. Have you lived in FL for any amount of time? I know nothing of your experiences but suggest a good look around the country before committing to a purchase unless you have "been there.""

Wisdom indeed. No we haven't lived there...well my Wife has, but I've always lived in the west or overseas...but mostly in California. I retired early (I'm still only 48) so there's no SS.

I have no family except for my Wife, and here family who live in Indiana, so there is no such place as home per se. I do want to live within walking distance of the beach if possible, and I think I can just do that in parts of Florida.

We've thought of Renting for awhile, but it gets more complicated when you've got three cats.

I've also considered Las Vegas, Nevada, which is only hours away from Calif on the one hand, and has good value and no state tax on the other.

Its a BIG decision though, so we are going to have to be very careful!

mark
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us