The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-ive-always-lived-in-the-west-or-19094315.aspx

Subject:  Re: financing Date:  5/24/2003  6:47 PM
Author:  hotfoot Number:  8449 of 19224

but I've always lived in the west or overseas...but mostly in California. I retired early (I'm still only 48) so there's no SS.

Two questions:
One. Calif should offer lots of seaside living. Have you ruled that out?

Two. At age 48, who will you play golf with during retirement? Most retired golfers, retired people for that matter, are older. Who are you going to hang with?
My brother-in-law, who could have retired at 45, had to prop up his playing partners! He chose to keep working.
Not that we retirees aren't interesting, it's just that we are only interesting for a short time and it's time to nap.

We spend winters in central FL in a 55 & over mobile home park with 600 sites and a great hall, activities, management and nice PEOPLE. We love it, for 3 to 4 months.
We have looked at the Del Webb types and are not ready for that kind of canned structure. The developers and planners are preparing for a mob and rightly so, but will they come?? Will they enjoy??
For us,I expect it will come to a decision to stay in OH and finish it all up or, at the appropriate time, stay in FL where we would be with people with similar needs, wants, opinions, concerns, etc.

Check it out and then go back to work for ten years. You may be retired for 40 years!
H.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us