The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Infertility/Fertility Issues

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/there-is-a-book-by-anita-diamant-that-describes-19121326.aspx

Subject:  Re: Surprise Date:  5/30/2003  10:11 PM
Author:  MakePigsFly Number:  586 of 2281

There is a book by Anita Diamant that describes Biblical history from the perspective of Dinah, an under represented character from the Old Testament. Dinah is the daughter of Jacob a man who had 4 wives and many children including 12 sons, one of whom was Joseph. At some level this makes Dinah Jesus' virtual aunt, right? (that was irrelevant - it just popped into my head and yes, I'm a lousy Christian because a good Christian knows that Jesus is the son of God, not Joseph).

Anyhow, back to the book... The Red Tent is the female sanctuary where women go when they are menstruating and where they carry out various female rituals and rights of passage and help each other through childbirth and through illness.

Truth be told I remember almost nothing about the book but it is an interesting read and the thing that struck me most was how uplifted I felt when she was writing about things that happened inside the tent. The women of Biblical times did not have very happy lives and yet they managed to find a lot of joy being with each other.

P.
who meant that Dinah, not Ruth, would let Joe in the tent.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us