The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thank-you-foolferlove-and-jb-you-both-answered-my-19147922.aspx

Subject:  Re: Question On I Bonds Date:  6/5/2003  5:12 PM
Author:  goodald Number:  7399 of 35357

Thank you Foolferlove and JB

You both answered my questions and raised an interesting point.

>>>>>
What happens if the inflation rate is -1.8% or lower? I'll admit the likelihood of this isn't high but run the numbers in this case.

"the redemption value of your I Bonds will remain the same until the earnings rate becomes greater than zero."
<<<<<

I actually didn't realize that I bonds could have zero growth, I thought the fixed portion would always pay. I'll keep thinking about my options for now. I'm not really in a hurry to stick my cash anywhere.

-My E-fund's pretty built up
-I've also saved an additional 5K that i'll eventually be using to help pay off my student loans.

Still Fulltime worker+student, loans won't come due for 2-3 years. I'm looking for a safe account with yields near to my student loan interest rate. Currently my E fund and tuition fund are both in INGdirect, which is paying 2% (just lowered again, sigh). I'm trying to keep as much cash on hand as possible in case "something" happens where I work. I'm almost certain that i'm safe here... but "almost certain" doesn't mean much nowadays :)

Thanks again for your feedback!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us