The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/youve-gotten-some-good-advice-so-far-but-i-just-19173022.aspx

Subject:  Re: How do I Invest in an IRA? Date:  6/11/2003  2:33 PM
Author:  DrinkInk Number:  36515 of 75335

You've gotten some good advice so far, but I just decided to weigh in because I have my Roth IRA with Ameritrade. I'm also in college and made enough at my internship last summer to contribute. It was easy to open, just print the forms off the website and then send them in with a check. On non IRA accounts they have a $15 a quarter service fee if you don't have >$2000 in your account and make less than X trades a year, but you won't have to worry about that. With the Ameritrade IRA you can invest in whatever you want. I currently have individual stock in mine, but if this is your only account then an index fund is a great way to go. Trades are $10.99 for market and limit orders. I've had a good experience with Ameritrade so far. I would suggest looking into Scottrade because it's cheaper, my brother just opened an account with them.

Have fun with your investing.

DI
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us