The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-wont-comment-on-the-ira-question-but-think-you-19178778.aspx

Subject:  Re: IRA and divorce ? Date:  6/12/2003  2:52 PM
Author:  lorenzo2 Number:  65801 of 121592

I won't comment on the IRA question, but think you should keep on your son about getting his own lawyer. Your DIL's lawyer will definitely be working for her, which means he/she will be working against your son, however amicable your son and DIL hope this parting will be. Your son needs his own lawyer to look after his interests; no one else will. For example, on this IRA thing, DIL's lawyer really doesn't care about tax consequences for your son; he/she is only interested in getting as much as possible for DIL and child. (I suspect there are many impoverished ex-husbands who tried to save a few bucks and do without a lawyer, and who got taken to the cleaners on alimony, child support, division of assets, etc.)

For what it's worth, I don't think they could have shared a lawyer, as you suggested. I may be mistaken, but I don't think ethics will allow a lawyer to represent both parties in an adversarial proceeding, which this is.

Lorenzo
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us