The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-always-used-delete-sharesadd-shares-to-19223695.aspx

Subject:  Re: Calculating capital gains Date:  6/22/2003  4:29 PM
Author:  texandesi Number:  65952 of 121316

I have always used delete shares/add shares to transfer shares. Money does have a feature to transfer accounts. I have not attempted to merge accounts with the transfer function.

When adding shares to an account the price/total fields are used to setup the cost basis. The conflict is that if the purchase date is used for the transaction date then the history of the account is incorrect but the capital gains calculations are correct.

I found a way to get around the limitation with the following steps -

01. Export all investment accounts and their corresponding cash accounts.
02. Create an investment watch account.
03. Import all exported data to the watch account.

Voila! I have a record of all investment activity before taxes. It was heartening to see that my investment portfolio has grown at a CAGR of 8% in last 2.5 years since I started investing, as opposed to a MS-Money calculated rate of -2%

One caveat is that MS-Money being the darling it is, it is now using the watch account in its list of accounts for invesment returns. To avoind this problem, it might be better to create a separate file for watch transactions.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Rgds,
TD
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us