The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Self-Employed Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fishing-for-ideas-19328034.aspx

Subject:  Fishing for ideas.... Date:  7/16/2003  10:44 AM
Author:  mikeg1382 Number:  7832 of 14977

The more I work for an eemployer, the more I find myself wanting to start my own business. Someone once said that to me that the key is to find a niche market and open a business, something that has a high demand and low supply.
I am a chef by trade, and that is pretty much all I have ever done. The problem is, although I still love cooking, I am not so interested in doing it for a living anymore.
What I have been thinking about is radio. In my area, there is a large Latino population, and there used to be a spanish radio station. It was shut down a few months ago, and I am thinking that it would be a great way to make money in this area. Only I don't know much about radio, if anything.
I have other ideas, but this one has really got my attention. I am wondering if any of you would have any suggestions about how to get started in the radio business? The cultural part I am not too worried about, I speak fairly fluent spanish, and my wife and most of my friends are latino, but the business angle eludes me. Would I need to take courses in business management?
These are just my first thoughts, and any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Any suggested reading or good online resources would be very helpful as well. Thanks in advance!

Mike in NJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us