The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/nope-when-both-you-and-your-spouse-commute-15-19331559.aspx

Subject:  Re: Balance Transfers - A Silver Bullet? Date:  7/16/2003  7:47 PM
Author:  SoftSimp Number:  164940 of 308881

Nope, when both you and your spouse commute 1.5 hours each way to work, and live in a 3600 square foot house

Here's where you and I differ. A 1.5 hour commute is not worth any amount of money to me, as my time is too valuable to me and I'd prefer not to spend it driving in a car alone. Time is the one thing I can spend but can never make more of. Right now my commute is about 30 seconds, from the bed to the coffee pot to the computer. I've actually made quite a few sacrifices to earn that priveledge and I fight hard to keep it.

My sister owns one of those McMansions - it's not for me. When my little guy wakes up crying, I want to be able to sprint from my office or the family room to his room in under 5 seconds. Can't do that in a McMansion. But I agree, with a house that size, a cleaning service must definitely be factored into the price of the home!

It's just a matter of what your priorities are. I've looked into my soul and I know what mine are. In our life, the money that would go toward a McMansion instead goes toward other real estate - the kind that puts money into our pockets every month rather than taking it out.

Not that there's anything wrong with your choices, they just wouldn't be mine. I'll admit, though, it did take me a while to realize that. My original plan included earning my first million by 30. ;^)

SS
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us