The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/when-did-you-realize-and-where-are-you-now-19422149.aspx

Subject:  When did you realize and where are you now? Date:  8/6/2003  2:47 PM
Author:  DaftAdam Number:  19 of 5075

Hi guys, I'm Adam, and I'm an FIRE wannabee too. I was wondering when you first realized you wanted to be FIRE and how far along you are now. So here goes.

I'm 23 years old, and hadn't really even considered FIRE until I signed up for the message boards about 2 months ago. I'd put a little money away just because I'm not really a spender, but it wasn't that much. So I've made the first few steps towards FIRE in the past few months. I have a taxable account that I opened up last year that I've been putting at least 10% in since I opened it. I'm aggressively paying off a loan I took out to buy a trailer because 13.5% is outrageous, but it was the best I could get. I've got 6 months worth of living expenses saved up that I'm going to move to a credit union (2.5% return there, not bad for a savings account). And I'm going to start saving out some extra money to open up a Roth IRA.

So when did the rest of you realize you wanted to be FIRE? What steps have you taken, and where are you now?

Adam
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us