The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-23-years-old-and-hadnt-really-even-19422194.aspx

Subject:  Re: When did you realize and where are you now? Date:  8/6/2003  2:54 PM
Author:  tdxUVA Number:  21 of 5056

I'm 23 years old, and hadn't really even considered FIRE until I signed up for the message boards about 2 months ago.

I'm in the same position as you, except that I'm 3 years younger. But these message boards was the first time I thought seriouslly about FIRE. I don't have much $ saved up, but after reading TMF and talking on these message baords, I've begun to save a part of each check I get this summer.

What I do have is 0 credit card debt, thanks to good teaching by my parents. Hopefully by next month I'll have the $1000 I need to open up a Roth IRA with Vanguard. My goal from now on is to save 20% pretax of every check I get. I figure now while I have no wife, kids, or house is the best time to save as much money as I can.

I'm looking forward to reading and participating on this board, and helping everyone work toward their common goal.

-tdx
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us