The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-realized-i-wanted-to-stop-working-when-i-had-my-19422269.aspx

Subject:  Re: When did you realize and where are you now? Date:  8/6/2003  3:07 PM
Author:  TrudyPhool Number:  24 of 5068

I realized I wanted to stop working when I had my baby. That's when it hit me, that my priorities had changed.

I am 32. DH is 31. I have always put the maximum in my 401K since I started working in 1995. So I have a good chuck of money so far because of that. My company has a very generous match, so I am watching my money grow.

Currently, we save about 10% of our pre-tax salary, all in 401K. My company contributes another 10% of my salary, so that helps enormously. Outside of that, I have a small emergency fund, but no IRA.

I am currently in frantic debt-repayment mode. I project I will be rid of unsecured debt by this time next year. After that, I need to start saving for our retirement, and for my son's college fund. I also intend to have more children, so that adds to the bottom line of course.

I would like to retire by age 50. I don't know if this is possible, but that's what I'm shooting for.

--Trudy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us