The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/adam-writes-im-23-years-old-and-hadnt-really-19423303.aspx

Subject:  Re: When did you realize and where are you now? Date:  8/6/2003  6:00 PM
Author:  chooey98 Number:  75 of 5068

Adam writes:
I'm 23 years old, and hadn't really even considered FIRE until I signed up for the message boards about 2 months ago.

I remember being about your age, and having a boring job and hating it. I thought that if I had a million dollars, I could live like I was living then (1-BD apartment, used car-I've always been frugal), and that money probably would last a long time, and I wouldn't have to work so hard at something I hated. However, it seemed like an impossible goal, and I didn't even try for it. Saving was difficult, because my emergency funds were quickly and repeatedly eaten up by stuff like car repairs, etc.,

It's only been recently that my life and family situation has allowed me to save up a substantial portion of my income, and retirement is about 7-10 years away, now. Not so early, but still early, and I'm better off than most right now.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us