The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-much-as-it-sounds-like-a-cop-out-it-was-19425456.aspx

Subject:  Re: When did you realize and where are you now? Date:  8/7/2003  10:06 AM
Author:  GusSmed Number:  131 of 5068

As much as it sounds like a cop-out, it was basically chosen for me.

No, it doesn't sound like a cop-out. Kids are kids, not adults. It's a rare kid under 20 who is really sure of himself enough to choose a career against active parental opposition.

yep, typical Asian family here! Ever wonder why there are so many Chinese doctors, scientists and engineers? Now you know -- never underestimate Asian family pressure!

That makes sense. I've never been directly exposed to this, but I've seen a movie or two which touched on the subject.

Perversely, my father wanted me to a mathematics professor. I had a talent for math, and he didn't see any value in programming. This is understandable, because when I was studying programming, home computers were almost exclusively the domain of hobbyists. CP/M users were expected to write their own device drivers.

- Gus
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us