The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/chocokitty-writes-as-much-as-it-sounds-like-a-19428304.aspx

Subject:  Re: When did you realize and where are you now? Date:  8/7/2003  5:45 PM
Author:  Ranma Number:  172 of 5068

ChocoKitty writes:

As much as it sounds like a cop-out, it was basically chosen for me. I was *told* since when I was a kid that I would be an electrical engineer, and that was that. No arguments allowed (yep, typical Asian family here! Ever wonder why there are so many Chinese doctors, scientists and engineers? Now you know -- never underestimate Asian family pressure!).

Yep. Been there, done that. I majored in electrical engineering in college not because that was my lifelong dream but because:

1) I was good in math and science (stereotypical Asian immigrant kid)
2) My dad thought it was a well-paying respected field (plus, he always wanted to be an engineer!)

Luckily for me, I didn't find EE too boring, although I ended up choosing software programming as a career because I liked it much better. I've heard plenty of stories of kids stuck doing something they don't like for a living because of parental pressure.

Ranma

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us