The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/great-post-fmo-i-really-like-the-idea-of-owning-19429024.aspx

Subject:  Re: A Strategy for Retiring Early Date:  8/7/2003  8:38 PM
Author:  mazske Number:  182 of 5089

Great post, FMO.

I really like the idea of owning rental property as I did rent one house I owned a few years ago and didn't have any major problems.

However, the problem I would have in the above scenerio would be coming up with a 20% downpayment. The majority of my money is in IRA's and a 457 plan and it's untouchable to me. I do have a little bit in a taxable account that I could use for investment purchases, but not enough for a property like this.

I see houses for sale in my area in the range of 50-60K. I don't know rental prices and this is where I need to do my homework, but I'm guessing something like this would rent for $400/month.

If that guess was true, would a 2 minute thought on this lead you to say this would work or would you say stay away from houses that can be bought for 50K.

I would still have to come up with the downpayment though and there lies the main problem. That initial downpayment and then e