The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-keeps-you-going-on-the-way-toward-fire-1-i-19434834.aspx

Subject:  Re: What keeps you going? Date:  8/8/2003  9:08 PM
Author:  Mark0Young Number:  245 of 5084

what keeps you going on the way toward FIRE?

1. I work for a community college in IT and, even though I like my job, I don't like the stress that budget problems every few years cause. So one of my goals is to become FI, or at least FI enough that I could last from whenever until I can collect full pension benefits.

2. I have a next door neighbor who is in pretty poor financial shape, relying on her children gifting her money every month to meet her financial obligations. I don't want my late retirement to be spent in poverty--I have no children, let alone children who are financially well off enough to provide half my living expenses. Therefore I am investing as much as I can with the idea I would spend it late in my retirement, using it to be FI instead of draining the finances of the children I don't have or being an extra burden on society.

I am not so sure about the RE part--I do like watching TV, participating on several message boards, and I do some volunteer work for the college's Foundation (they raise money for scholarships, capital improvements, equipment for the students to learn on, etc.), but on the occasion where I am laid up at home for a week I go stir crazy. I can't imagine a life like that, so if I am forced into R I would probably have to build up more contacts for volunteering.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us