The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-i-was-a-student-for-many-years-but-when-i-19455795.aspx

Subject:  Re: FIRE checker for Fools Date:  8/14/2003  8:48 AM
Author:  rainphakir Number:  363 of 5076

well, I was a student for many years, but when I finally got outta school, I crossed that line in about 5 years. At that point my 'wealth' jumped markedly. I used part of my savings to build a house. I had a property with a 'garage' on it. I tripled the size and converted that into a house. I did a large part of the work myself.

Building the house is THE best thing I've ever done. The sense of accomplishment cannot be beat, nor the self-confidence of having done it. I had never built anything before - but I did spend one summer as an electrician's helper, which gave me the confidence to tackle the electrical wiring. A plumber friend helped me plan the plumbing. I read books and drew plans for the framing, doors, windows, and finishing work.

The effect of the house on my 'wealth' is/was secondary to the internal self confidence and accomplishment.

ralph
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us