The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/some-people-are-too-busy-working-and-striving-for-19457314.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cross post from REHP Date:  8/14/2003  1:34 PM
Author:  FriedaChopsticks Number:  377 of 5068

Some people are too busy working and striving for business/financial goals to take a step back and really evaluate what makes them happy in life.

dt makes some very good points.

I'm struggling with this balance right now and I'm nowhere close to FIRE. I am currently a contractor, waiting for my employer to hire me on (very long story.) While I'm waiting, I have a second job to cover bills such as health ins. and to keep socking my $10/week to my IRA. Since BF is in law school, I keep seeing our net worth go down, due to loans, instead of up. It can be frustrating since I work 7 days a week, and it isn't uncommon that I'm gone 14 hours a day. I need to take a step back and realize that if/when things fall into place, we'll be able to bounce back pretty quickly. Right now I just feel like I'm bailing out a canoe with a spoon.

This is not a pity party, I'm just explaining that sometimes I need to remember that if I only work 15 hrs/week at my second job, we aren't going to be on the street. And it IS ok to take the weekend off for no reason except I need a mental break. Or to go camping. Because if I ignore my relationships with my friends, family, or BF, they MAY just go away, and then where does that leave me?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us