The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/also-shocking-gt-the-impression-i-got-from-the-19461087.aspx

Subject:  Re: FIRE checker for Fools Date:  8/15/2003  10:44 AM
Author:  Lurker1999 Number:  415 of 5069

Also shocking--> the impression I got from the book is that doctors and lawyers statistically have the odds stacked against them of achieving great wealth. This is due to their expected high lifestyle and status artifacts they are expected to own. The more I think about this, my son's pediatrician is probably only in her 30s and she drives a Lexus. Good luck, becoming a FIRE.

Actually it's not due to any type of lifestyle but rather the fact that after 4 years of college, 4 years of med school, 3-5 years of residency and 1-4 years of subspecialty training without substantial pay, having to pay off student loans there is a late start. That is the primary deficit since you lose many years of compounding and start with a significant negative net worth.

Most doctors aren't single-mindedly trying to retire early, there's easier ways to make a living if that's your entire life's plan.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us