The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/5-fun-people-who-dont-enjoy-driving-never-19464553.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Millionare Next Door Date:  8/16/2003  5:21 AM
Author:  mjuarez Number:  451 of 5084

5) Fun.

People who don't enjoy driving never understand that one.

That is true. I personally like driving, a lot. However, driving can only be really enjoyable, in my opinion, on deserted roads or interstate highways. How enjoyable can driving be when you're moving at 5mph in rush hour traffic? Even if you have a Mitsubishi Evo VIII, you're not really going to use the AWD, the slip-lock differential, etc when commuting to/from work. A 1970 VW Bug could do the exact same job, while costing $30K less. OTOH, when it's a track racing day... then every last penny invested in that Evo will be worth it. :-)

For transportation needs, you could do with basically whatever is functional for you. Right now my complete transportation needs are met by a $200 bike I bought 3 weeks ago. Would be much different if I was back home, though. Then, my 1987 BMW 325e would really get a workout.

Marcos
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us