The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-for-the-invitation-dt-i-have-seen-your-19471579.aspx

Subject:  Re: FIRE checker for Fools Date:  8/18/2003  2:35 PM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  475 of 5074

Thanks for the invitation, dt. I have seen your posts on other boards and thought that you were older (at least older than me!) because of the good advice/suggestions you seem to always give.

Thank you very much! It is very rewarding to hear that others on these boards have found some value in things that I have shared. Throughout my time on the Fool, I have gone through the stages of being a newbie to a particular topic and then learning more and being able to share what I have learned.

I'm not sure I have much to contribute to this board as I don't feel like I have a plan to get to FIRE, nor any plan for retirement at all. Right now my concentration is on getting out of debt and achieving a positive net worth.

That is what this board is here for in my opinion. We are all at various stages on the path to FIRE. Some of us are just beginning and others are already there. By people asking questions, it allows all of us to learn new things and continue to foster our growth.

...go back to school. It took me 3.5 years to finish...bought a new-to-me car to drive to work...This is when the trouble really started...the cost of living in SoCal is quite high, and we've been living above our means

These excerpts indicate to me that you are on the right path. You have recognized where certain mistakes were made and throughout the process you have done things to improve your situation. I commend you for being able to finish school while raising a child and maintaining the household. In addition, you are aware of the problems that you are facing, which is a big part of the battle.

Now, my husband has left me and is in the process of filing for divorce, and I am trying to avoid being stuck with $35K-$40K of debt in my name (half of which is my student loans that I'm still paying on).

{{{{karen}}}}

So, that's my story, and why I'm not sure I can really call myself a FIRE Wannabee (although I really would like to be able to retire early, as there are so many places I would like to see that I just don't have the time/funds to see now).

That's what being a FIRE Wannabee is all about. Over time, you will learn quite a few things on the boards here and there are plenty of very knowledgable and helpful people that can help along the way.

Please continue to ask questions and learn new things along with the rest of us!

dt
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us