The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-dad-handled-all-the-finances-and-he-always-19514701.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Your parents...Foolish or not? Date:  8/28/2003  1:30 PM
Author:  TrudyPhool Number:  588 of 5068

My dad handled all the finances, and he always made sure he put money into his investment plan every paycheck. My mom told me once she would get upset with him, because all us kids (5 total) needed shoes. But he would do it anyway. Funny thing is, I don't remember thinking I needed new shoes.

My dad's parents declared bankruptcy in their early 70s. I don't know any of the details, but my dad always looked to them as an example of what not to do!

One thing I remember vividly is when I was at a friends house one afternoon and her mom came home from work with shopping bags. She had gone shopping during the day and gotten new jeans and a top for her daughter. So she walks in the room and gives her the stuff like it's no big deal. And my friend was looking at the 'loot' like it was no special thing. I was FLABBERGASTED! NEW CLOTHES?? In the middle of the school year?? Madness!! But she was an only child and her parents both worked. I am the youngest of five and my mom stayed home.

It was then that it occurred to me how different our lives were - sort of. We were both pretty happy in general. Same neighborhood, same school, same friends. She had new stuff all the time, I had hand-me-downs and stuff my mom made. But in general, I think, kids don't care.

--Trudy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us