The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/mine-were-great-at-lbym-and-saving-a-good-chunk-19514721.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Your parents...Foolish or not? Date:  8/28/2003  1:33 PM
Author:  decath Number:  590 of 5069

Mine were great at LBYM and saving a good chunk for investing. They are retiring next year at the ages of 63 and 62 very comfortably. They invested in real estate but chose a location that has not appreciated much. They did get a decent return from real estate via rental income.

Their stock and bond investment returns were below average until 2000. Dad always read books and newletters that preached "the end was near" so he usually stayed out of stocks unless they were in the mining sector. After mid 2000, of course, he looked like a genious and saw double digit returns investing in commodities, real estate and bonds.

If I had ignored his investment advice during the 90s, I would probably be 5 years from FIRE. As it was, I missed out on a lot of the glorious 90's by not having enough assets in growth stocks.

decath
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us