The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-parents-were-foolish-with-a-great-big-capital-19516562.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Your parents...Foolish or not? Date:  8/28/2003  7:41 PM
Author:  prim69 Number:  593 of 5074

My parents were Foolish with a great big capital "F"!!

My only question is, why did I learn nothing from them?

They have built a small struggling farm in the early '60s, to a multi-million dollar enteprise now.

They buy more land with cash. They buy machinery worth up to $1/2M with cash! They turn over more in a year than I will probably see in a lifetime.

But they are the classic "millionaires next door". They drive a new car, but it's a Ford Falcon, not a mercedes. They go on a 2-week driving holiday once a year. Went to New Zealand once, but mum said "it's not as good as home", so now they just stay here.

Kind of funny, really. Dad's cousin, when we were growing up, had the farm next door. I remember thinking how rich they were - they had their own plane, drove a mercedes, & mum & dad went on O/S trips at least once a year. We had birthday parties at home, & went to the beach for holidays.

Now? Well, I told you where my mum & dad are. They also bought up his cousin's farm when he went bankrupt. And he does mechanical work on dad's machinery, so that dad has more time with mum!

Primm
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us