The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-there-what-a-great-description-quotzombie-19516921.aspx

Subject:  Re: Stalking a zombie CC Date:  8/28/2003  9:38 PM
Author:  blackmare Number:  168779 of 308881

Hi there.

What a great description, "zombie account"! I love it.

When I pulled my credit report, I had a "zombie account" from a Montgomery Ward card I'd never even used. Same situation, Ward's had gone under and I had no idea how to close the account or even which company held it.

So, I called one of the CRAs...I think it was Experian. I got a really nice lady on the phone and gave her my laundry list of errors and updates, among them the old Montgomery Ward account, which I wanted closed.

The contacted the current account owner for me and closed the account. A while later I got a revised credit report in the mail, listing that account as "closed by consumer."

So, based on my experience I'd say the easiest way to go about it is to call the credit reporting agencies and ask them for help. If you get an unhelpful person the first time, call back and try the next one. After all, it's on their 800 number. :-)

Mare
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us