The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-always-thought-that-my-parents-werent-smart-19518644.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Your parents...Foolish or not? Date:  8/29/2003  10:58 AM
Author:  phantomdiver Number:  596 of 5082

I always thought that my parents weren't smart about money, but now I'm thinking that maybe I'm wrong.

They didn't have credit cards until after Dad retired from his 30-year military career. I think they just got a credit card to make traveling easier.

They sold their house in popular Arlington, VA, in 1974 to retire on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Then they paid off their 30-year mortgage several years early. I thought they were stupid to live in a house made out of money while the stock market was zooming.

I checked www.realtor.com the other day to see what the value of their house was doing. Dang, houses near them have gone up in a big way! I figure they've earned about 8% a year on that house of theirs!

Their financial picture isn't all rosy. But these days, I'm thinking that they were unwittingly pretty smart.

phantomdiver
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us