The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-dad-is-a-shade-tree-auto-mechanic-and-mom-is-a-19519170.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Your parents...Foolish or not? Date:  8/29/2003  12:09 PM
Author:  DrZenRoot Number:  598 of 5084

My dad is a shade-tree auto mechanic and mom is a manager of a call center. Combined, they never made more than $30,000 per year. Dad owned several business off and on and they never spent a nickel on anything.
My brothers (2) and I always thought we were dirt poor, and we learned to work, save, and do without.

Imagine my surprise when my dad walked away at 42 and retired. Mom now works 30 hour weeks just to get the insurance. Dad has a great life as well. After 30 years of working on cars, everyone in town knows him. A few days a week he'll open the garage door (a sign to those who need him) and people will drive up with their ailing autos. Some he fixes, some he consults, but he is always cheaper than the dealership.

Now in their early fifties, my parents are traveling and relaxing and enjoying being grandparents instead of slaving toward 65.
Don
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us