The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-visual-tool-19536550.aspx

Subject:  A visual tool Date:  9/3/2003  5:02 PM
Author:  ChocoKitty Number:  644 of 5084

...shamelessly stolen from the credit card boards.

I've grumbled before about how saving for FIRE is like watching paint dry. So I'm thinking of making an FIRE paper chain. Each link in the chain corresponds to a dollar increment (e.g., $2K), with every tenth link a different color to mark a milestone. Each time I reach a given increment in my FIRE fund, I get to break a link. Call it "breaking the chains of full-time employment." Each time I reach a milestone, I get to break the link and go to a fancy restaurant for dinner as a little reward.

Because the chain will likely be verrrrry long, I've also opted to change color schemes completely for each large milestone (like every $100K). And the last link will be a gold-colored link marked "FIRE". I'm into personal symbols, and a gold link reminds me of the "golden handcuffs" that I was warned about early in my career.

Of course, if the market goes down, I'll probably have to occasionally add some links back to the chain. But by continuously putting money into the FIRE fund, this shouldn't happen too often.

Now I'm afraid this chain will be so long that it might discourage me! But at least I get something to play with.

CK
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us