The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / FIRE Wannabees

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-grumbled-before-about-how-saving-for-fire-is-19537428.aspx

Subject:  Re: A visual tool Date:  9/3/2003  8:49 PM
Author:  FoolNBlue Number:  648 of 5068

I've grumbled before about how saving for FIRE is like watching paint dry. So I'm thinking of making an FIRE paper chain.

I have a simple spreadsheet called Financial Timeline. Once a month when I "lock" my personal finance spreadsheets, I enter my EOM net worth and my monthly expenses. I then have Excel generate several simple line graphs. The main one is simply my net worth. The others track my expenses (along with trend line), withdrawl rate, and "month's living expenses."

Because the chain will likely be verrrrry long, I've also opted to change color schemes completely for each large milestone (like every $100K).

My milestones are when Excel rescales my Y-Axis. What a lovely event!

The Financial Timeline Spreadsheet is more for fun than analysis. It serves to motivate and remind me how far I've come. I have net worth data going back to 1996 and expense data back to 1998.

FoolNBlue (Paperchain.xls)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us