The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-know-i-shouldnt-be-irritated-with-my-wife-so-19540091.aspx

Subject:  Re: BOA Ticked Me OFF Date:  9/4/2003  1:16 PM
Author:  dsemmler Number:  169035 of 308722

I know I shouldn't be irritated with my wife so much. I AM irritated with BOA for a one day charge. I will call them today and see if they'll waive it. It's a new account and I can threaten to close it immediately. Any thoughts on this?

Phew, there for a minute I thought our Booa had done something to upset you! :-)

If it were me, I would give BOA a call and politely ask them if there is any way that they can waive the late charge this time. They may be willing to work with you since it was one day late and that should indicate that you made the attempt to pay the account on time.

Keep in mind that you often catch more bees with honey so don't let your irritation come through on the phone call. If they are not willing to waive the fee, you can either cancel the card and most likely still pay the fee or suck it up and pay the fee and keep the card open.

Once that is taken care of, you should discuss this with your DW. She needs to be aware that if she is going to make purchases with the CC, she needs to make certain the bill is paid in time. In all honesty, it sounds as if your DW was trying to pay the bill ontime but either underestimated the time it would take to mail the payment or waited just a little too long. It appears as if it were an honest mistake.

However, I think the larger issue here is the fact that your DW is making purchases without your knowledge and trying to hide them from you. If this CC was opened for emergencies only yet she is trying to secretly use it, she is obviously not on board with your family financial plan. Rather than fret over the late fee, I would focus my energy on working with your DW on a plan that you can both adhere to.

dt
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us