The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-would-you-all-tell-her-quotif-you-want-to-19545451.aspx

Subject:  Re: My daughter wants to give $ to street panhan Date:  9/5/2003  2:14 PM
Author:  zsimpson Number:  12327 of 42472

What would you all tell her?

"If you want to help him, why don't you offer to take him for a sandwich instead?"
I have already gone over this with my children. I told them, "Everyone has choices in life, and what choices you make will usually decide what your life is like. These people made bad choices. The choices may have been to use drugs, and alcohol, or gamble, but they made those choices. Sometimes life will punish a person for making bad choices just as Mom will punish you for making bad choices."
I've been "homeless". I lived in my car for 3 weeks, and lived literally off the gratitude of others in a place where I knew absolutely NOBODY, and was over 1100 miles away from anyone I knew. I never had to pan-handle, nor do I think most of these people have to pan-handle. One of them started on me as I was getting off a subway one time. I looked at his clothes and I looked at mine, then I said, "You are dressed better than I am, and you are pan-handling from me?"
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us