The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/warning-warning-please-do-not-take-his-debt-on-19579122.aspx

Subject:  Re: I'm being selfish! And I hate it! Date:  9/13/2003  11:17 PM
Author:  windyelliott Number:  169580 of 308644

WARNING** WARNING**

Please do not take his debt on your shoulders until you are married. Until you are married you should treat your finances as if you are roommates. You should be splitting the cost of the living expenses and you should each be dealing with your debt individually.

If you are going to work on it together, then I recommend that you at least split it equally between you. So if you are snowballing %500 a month, then $250 goes to one of your cards and $250 goes to one of his. As for the balance transfers, you should only put your cards on your new transfer card and he should apply for a new card to get his transfered.

As for being selfish, hun, you have to be selfish when you are single. If you take on his debt and you break up three months for now, it will take you a long time to pay it off.

Please do not assume you have the protection that marriage provides just because you are living together and plan on getting married in the future.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us