The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: 401(k) stable fund???? Date:  9/16/2003  3:13 PM
Author:  jg4 Number:  37211 of 88780

Stabe value funds used to be called GIC's. The funds are invested in corporate paper or debt. The "guarranteed" investment contract means that the fund has contracts with insurance companies to cover loss of principle in case of losses due to interest rate rises, for example.

I have a stable value fund in my 401k which has remained stable now for many years. If you have seen a drop in the principal value, something is very wrong. You should immediately check into what has happened and move your money if necessary.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us