The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-know-that-prescription-eyeglasses-are-19591461.aspx

Subject:  Re: Eyeglasses deductible as a work expense? Date:  9/17/2003  12:25 AM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  66906 of 121571

I know that prescription eyeglasses are deductible as a medical expense if I reach the benchmark of 7.5% (I hope I never take that deduction!). However, are they deductible as an unreimbursed work expense if I am required to wear them by my employer to do my job (air traffic controller) and that is the only time that I use or need them? BTW, I'm not in denial that I don't need them for anything else. The FAA requires 20/20 eyesight in both eyes. I have 20/20 in my right eye, and 20/20 with both eyes, but my left eye is just barely weak enough to need correction - not even enough to qualify for contacts. Thoughts, anyone?

I haven't done any research on this question, but I would probably claim the unreimbursed business expense deduction. Of course, you're still not likely to see any benefit since unreimbursed employee business expenses are subject to a 2% of AGI threshhold. Better than the 7.5% of AGI medical threshhold, but a hurdle nonetheless.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us