The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Tax deductions for income earned through moo Date:  9/18/2003  11:14 AM
Author:  RiverCityFool Number:  66923 of 127753

The question is can I write off part of the rent paid on my house as an office expense. Also, if there are other expenses that is related to getting this moonlighting project done, can I write them off also ?

If you have a room in your home that is devoted solely to business, you can deduct for that. See,,id%3D16237,00.html for more info.

You can deduct expenses related to your moonlighting. Report both the income and related expenses on Form 1040, Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business. You will also need to use Form 1040, Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax to compute and report your social security and Medicare tax.

The IRS has frequently asked questions at,,id%3D15925,00.html
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us