The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retirement

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-read-repeatedly-that-unless-you-are-in-for-19627033.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where should one go? Date:  9/25/2003  7:00 AM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  159 of 294

I have read repeatedly that unless you are in for the long term -5-10 years- you shouldn't be in the stock market.

??!!??

Why not? I'd say you can do a LOT in the market, short term as well as long term, but only if you take the time to learn where to get good information, stay diversified (don't put everything into 1 or 2 stocks), and have the time and interest in paying attention to your investments.

It's a bit like a garden: you can't just plant the seeds and go away! You may have to weed out bad ones, fertilize good ones, water them (figuratively), and even accept the failure of some!

My self-directed IRA, as a whole, is up some 23% YTD, but my own stock buys and sells in there have yielded me more like 40% YTD.

Just take the time to learn, learn, learn, and know that, if you want to direct your own investments, you better be prepared to lose sometimes!

Retired Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us