The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/youre-thinking-irrationally-its-never-about-who-19675794.aspx

Subject:  Re: I have a collection!!! Date:  10/6/2003  7:20 PM
Author:  sockwonder Number:  171155 of 308686

You're thinking irrationally. It's never about who would win the case, but who has the resources (time, people and money) to fight the case. They'll have you beat hands down every time. Nevertheless, I'll bet the world that you'd lose the case. Why? Because it's your insurance! Believe it or not, you, and only you are responsible for your accounts! It's not you're wife's responsibility because it's not her account. If you want her to pay it, you have to pay it first, and sue her separately for the money. It's not anyone else's fault or problem that you and your wife or ex-wife don't communicate. It never was, it never is, and it never will be. You're in denial man!

My XSO by accepting the services rendered by this currently unknown provider has established an obligation to the provider.
Wrong. By using your insurace card, she is giving your word for you that you will pay for the services rendered. ONLY if she signed up for a payment plan without insurance would she be establishing any kind of obligation for herself. You are completely in denial if you think it's any different than that. It's your responsibility to remove her from your insurance. Anything she does with it is in your name, whether you like it or not... whether you choose to believe it or not.

The fact that my employer or I paid the premiums doesn't automagically make me liable for her use of it. If my son, who is 18, goes out and has some elective surgery done and uses my insurance, am I also liable? (He is also covered on my insurance.) I don't think so.
Yes! Yes, you most certainly are! Again, denial! Totally regardless of your son's age, if he is covered by your insurance, and presents your insurance information when getting anything done, you are responsible for the charges. It is YOUR insurance!

The only thing I can say at this point is to please consult an attorney, because I feel like I'm spitting into the wind. You're obviously in an advanced stage of denial, and unable to see the clear facts as they lay before you. The fact is, the card holder (insurance or credit) is responsible for the charges incurred by any authorized user.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us