The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: House in Roth? Date:  10/6/2003  7:59 PM
Author:  foobarista Number:  67090 of 127753

The other thing is if your condo is your primary residence,
you don't have to pay cap gains taxes anyway if you live in
it for two years, up to $250,000, $500K if married filing

Note that even if you did, you'd only pay cap gains taxes on
profit, which crudely means sale price minus sale fees/RE
commissions minus your "basis", typically the price you paid.

So, if you bought your condo for $250K, and sold it for $550K,
only ($50K - RE commissions) would be subject to cap gains tax.

(Naturally, std disclaimers apply, read relevant tax documents,

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us