The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-mean-to-jump-into-your-and-joels-19676223.aspx

Subject:  Re: I have a collection!!! Date:  10/6/2003  9:52 PM
Author:  ErinKG Number:  171163 of 308648

I don't mean to jump into your and Joel's conversation, but I'm amazed that you are not understanding what he is saying. In his example the merchant never received authorization from the credit card company, yet still shipped the merchandise. When the credit card was declined after the fact of shipping the merchandise, the merchant can only go after the purchaser, not the joint holder (or authorized user) of the credit card account. Make sense now?

FWIW, I would do the exact same thing as Joel if I was in his situation.

Erin

I'm having trouble believing that you don't know how authorized users work, especially since they've been covered extensively here on this board, but... Easy. If an authorized user makes a purchase with your credit card, you are responsible for paying for that purchase. The same goes for joint cardholders - even more so. Plain and simple. I have never heard of an exception to this rule. There IS no contract between her and the merchant. You're having a mental block. It has absolutely, positively NOTHING to do with who actually makes the purchase. It has EVERYTHING to do with whose account it is. The account is yours. She is an authorized user. That means you allow her to use your account. Whatever she buys, you and you alone are responsible for payment on. As for my reference to an attorney... yes, it is absolutely ridiculous to get an attorney over an $83 collection, but you're that's not where you're talking about stopping. You're talking about suing them. Right there is where I'm telling you to get an attorney. And unless you have six figures of reserves, and no job to attend every day, you're kidding yourself by thinking you have the resources to play plaintiff OR defendant against a company of almost any size.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us