The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/erinkg-you-wrote-i-dont-mean-to-jump-into-your-19678236.aspx

Subject:  Re: I have a collection!!! Date:  10/7/2003  12:27 PM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  171177 of 308791

ErinKG,

You wrote, I don't mean to jump into your and Joel's conversation, but I'm amazed that you are not understanding what he is saying. In his example the merchant never received authorization from the credit card company, yet still shipped the merchandise. When the credit card was declined after the fact of shipping the merchandise, the merchant can only go after the purchaser, not the joint holder (or authorized user) of the credit card account. Make sense now?

FWIW, I would do the exact same thing as Joel if I was in his situation.

Thanks for the support. I was beginning to wonder if I was alone in my position.

As I said in my original post, this isn't about trying to shirk an obligation. It's because I believe the provider and the collection agency took what they felt was the easy way out -- ruining my credit.

The problem I have is that I think their actions are legally unsupportable and financially damaging. Regardless of any legal or moral obligations I may have to my XSO for support, I don't think the provider or the CA can establish a contractual relationship between themselves and me in order to justify their actions.

And all of this debate is predicated on the assumption that this claim actually involves the date of service claimed by the collection agency.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us