The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/no-its-just-simply-that-joel-wont-even-get-19678511.aspx

Subject:  Re: I have a collection!!! Date:  10/7/2003  1:19 PM
Author:  lizmonster Number:  171181 of 308674

No, it's just simply that joel won't even get correct legal advice - meaning he's jumping in with both feet and knowing nothing about the law.

Fair enough. But he's also right in that he's not risking much by going to small claims court.

The onus in this case is on the CC holder to notify the company that the card has expired and to give them the new card number.

If I did business with a company some years ago that had one of my CC numbers, is it really my responsibility to update them with a current CC number? I can't remember all the places I've shopped at on-line that now have expired CCs on record. If they charge to those CCs by mistake, I would at the very least expect them to contact me.

I don't know enough about Joel's situation (in spite of all the discussion!) to understand all the subtleties. I don't even know if he's still supposed to be carrying his ex on his insurance, and I suspect that the outcome of this will have more to do with that than anything else.

-lizmonster

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us