The Motley Fool Discussion Boards
Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less
|Subject: Board purpose||Date: 10/8/2003 11:56 AM|
|Author: workwayless||Number: 2 of 1498|
I asked TMF to open this board to provide a place to discuss ways to for early retirees to live rich on smaller budgets.
Why do they live on smaller budgets?
- They're trying to live on economy-battered stock portfolios
- It was the only way they could retire young
- They were forced out of the work world before they were ready
- They draw a small pension income
- They have ample financially resources, but live cheaply because they get a kick out of it
How do retirees “live rich on a smaller budgets”?
The quintessential example of such is Paul and Vicki Terhorst. They retired in their 30's and subsequently traveled around the world. Yet as of 1999, their daily expenses averaged $50 a day or $18k per year.
Of course, not everyone could live on so little and perpetual travel may not be your cup of tea. The point is to find a way to pursue your passions even on a smaller budget.
Let the good times RWOL!
|Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us|