The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-was-a-major-issue-with-us-as-well-due-to-a-19685889.aspx

Subject:  Re: Budget gotchas Date:  10/8/2003  6:57 PM
Author:  WendyBG Number:  29 of 1481

This was a major issue with us, as well. Due to a rotator cuff tear in 2002, I found that I was "uninsurable" in 2003...just as I was coming off COBRA.

When we began to investigate locales for retirement, I discovered that each state has different health insurance regulations. For example, in DE, each insurance company determines insurability and price independently.

In WA, the state mandates a standard health screening, where a rotator cuff injury counts fairly low on the scale of pre-existing conditions (it is actually completely healed now). This means that I was insurable in WA. Even for serious conditions, WA has a state health-insurance pool. Furthermore, WA mandates that insurance companies accept any person whose COBRA coverage has maxed out (18 months).

In DE, our health insurance would have been almost $1000 per month. In WA, it is about $500 per month (for both of us). Still a major expense, but the saving of $500 per month is significant.

I encourage you to investigate the health insurance rules of any state where you are considering retirement.

Wendy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us