The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-more-can-i-tell-you-we-wish-we-had-children-19686930.aspx

Subject:  Re: How We RdWOL Date:  10/9/2003  12:14 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  36 of 1492

What more can I tell you? We wish we had children but such a blessing was not to be. DW's physical condition limits our social life to almost nothing but we don't miss it. - jak

My wife and I are in our early 50's, been married and really enjoy not having children. We are childless by choice. We were so busy with work, saving for retirement, traveling, activities that we thought children would be a lot of extra trouble. Let's face it, when you have kids you never know what your getting. There is a LOT of mental illness in my family. All of my brother's and sisters have kids with problems, from schizophrenia, depression, to chronic rage syndrome. I never made a lot of money and if we'd had kids I think it would have made it impossible to save any money. One time my aunt and uncle visited us and asked us if we minded not having kids. I think they were childless because they just couldn't have kids. I told them that not having kids could be considered a blessing. - Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us