The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/possible-sources-for-health-insurance-19715876.aspx

Subject:  Possible Sources for Health Insurance Date:  10/15/2003  8:35 PM
Author:  workwayless Number:  129 of 1492

Health insurance is such a concern for those who retire without employer-supplied health insurance benefits. Here's my thoughts on some ideas to ways to obtain cheaper policies. First of all, start by getting an online quote at websites such as Quotesmart.com to get a feel for typical policy costs.

- Check with your credit union. Mine is now offering health insurance to its members.

- Do you have a friends or acquaintances who are also in need health insurance? Well then find an insurance agent and band together and then get group rates on your policies. Hmmmm I wonder if that could be fellow Fools. TMF staff are you listening??

- Call a few agents and pick their brains to find out if groups you are a member of or which ones you could join would make you eligible for group rates. For example, I joined the Farm Bureau, even though all plants tend to expire in my care.

- You could self-insure for most things and buy a major medical policy outside of the US. For example, health care costs in Mexico are about one-half of U.S. costs.

OK, let's hear other ideas...

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us